Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bumming, Borrowing and Biking

How I survived a Dallas 3 day weekend without a personal vehicle


I had 3 days and 3 nights planned in Big D, but no plan as to how I would get around. The need to visit 2 newborns, attend a fancy party and end up somewhere I could sleep would clearly require some kind of transportation....but a rental car? I got a headache just thinking about it.

The unfortunate circumstance of needed a car for parts of the trip would require the rental for the entire trip (blah). Of course I’d feel pressure to upgrade the insurance, given the chances of dead tree limbs falling during the first storm in months (literally). Looking to voice my frustration with Dallas’ lack of hourly car rental options, I took to social media. I doubt I got the attention of car rental company Zipcar (I have only myself to blame for the lack of Zimride network), but I did catch the eye of a family member who reminded me that I had a network of Big D people to assist me. This got me thinking that a weekend with no car would not only be cheaper, but it would make for a better story. So began my quest to live car free in Big D for a 3 day weekend. Expecting frustration and inefficiency, the results were shocking. Here’s the transportation breakdown

Friday Night:
Bummed: Friend picked me up from DFW.
Walked (in Dallas, shocking, I know): Rocco’s and Gingerman

Saturday:
Walked: Breadwinners (Breakfast Tacos)
Bummed: Ride to visit baby #1, Harper Banks
Bummed: Ride w Harper’s Dad to visit my Aunt, borrow vehicle*
Borrowed: Used the Volvo SUV to get to grandfathers house, pick up date, Crescent Ballroom for the party, (rideshare to the Ritz and back**), drop off date, and back home.

Sunday:
Borrowed: Since I had the car, went to Watermark before family lunch, then saw all Dallas family plus new addition, C. Caleb McGuirk (handed over Volvo)
Bummed: Ride back to grandfather’s house
Bummed: Ride to new sleeping location and Mexican dinner #1

Monday:
Biked: to Highland Park Chick-fil-a (coming soon to the bay, can’t happen soon enough)
Bummed: Ride to Mexican dinner #2
Borrowed: Last minute meet-up before flying back to CA

Tuesday Morning:
Bummed: Cousin was nice enough to take me to DFW

It might sound complicated, but it was all done on the fly, and so much more enjoyable that driving around by myself. I went to Dallas to see people after all, and the time in the car was just as enjoyable as the visits. Despite my willingness to help people traveling to the bay area, I consider it a burden to ask favors of others when I’m home - that’s kind of ridiculous.

My network was established and accessible without much planning, but how could this happen for everyone? What if a place like Dallas had rent by the hour vehicles like other big cities had. Then for the ridesharing moments, an established Zimride network to request rides. I know Dallas is a far ways off, but establishing innovative transportation networks isn’t impossible.

Look at the cities that are most often visited in the US: NYC, SF, DC - all places that tourists enjoy going car-free. Dallas will not compete for their tourist dollars, but if people thought of it as a well run transportation hub, maybe people would look at in in a different light. I certainly do.


*I tried to do the nice thing and fill up the Volvo before I returned it, but ended up angering my Aunt more than anything. It’s how I was raised, but I think she considered it a gift that I wasn’t accepting (love you Aunt Mel). Interestingly enough, the bill came out to be around what a Zipcar would cost for the day, which includes fuel costs.

**We planned to walk, but jumped in the car with a friend that was driving from the Crescent to the Ritz, which is located across the street, literally. Valet to valet, it’s how we roll in Uptown Dallas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home